There is a lot of misinformation about the abortion pill and how it works. If you live in or near Fayetteville, TN, and are looking for information about the abortion pill, come see us. You can talk to a nurse about any questions or concerns you may have and learn more about side-effects and how the abortion pill works.
Before Taking the Abortion Pill
Determine how far along you are.
The abortion pill is only effective for pregnancies below a certain age. If you are past a certain week, it may be too late for you to take the abortion pill. Ensure you aren’t putting yourself at risk by getting a free limited ultrasound first and finding out how far along you are.
Make sure your pregnancy is viable.
Approximately 15-25% of pregnancies end in miscarriage. It is important to first get an ultrasound to determine if the pregnancy is viable. An ultrasound can also rule out an ectopic pregnancy which occurs when the fertilized egg does not correctly move into the uterus. This can be a life-threatening condition and would need immediate action.
Facts About the Abortion Pill
- It’s officially called RU-486 and was approved by the FDA in 2000. Another name for RU-486 is a medical or chemical abortion.
- The pill is actually two drugs, mifepristone and misoprostol, and it’s taken in two separate doses. (One at the clinic and one at home.)
- It can cost anywhere between $300-$800.
- The abortion pill is not the same as the emergency contraceptive, The Morning After Pill or Plan B One-Step.
- Some insurance companies cover a portion of the cost.
- It is usually taken between 4-6 weeks but can be taken up to 70 days after your last known period (LMP).
→ How far along you are must be verified through an ultrasound.
- Is not an option for people with certain medical conditions.
- Reversal is possible if action is taken after the first dose.
What are some side-effects of the abortion pill?
- Incomplete abortion, which may need to be followed by surgical abortion
- Heavy or prolonged bleeding
- Infection or septic shock
- Digestive system pain or discomfort
- Heavy cramping
- Nausea or vomiting
If you think you may be pregnant or are looking for options and abortion information, come see us. We provide a free pregnancy confirmation appointment to determine if your pregnancy is viable and how far along you are. With several abortion methods available today, this information will determine what options are available and how much it will cost.
Learn more about the pill, how it works, and talk to a nurse about your medical history.
>> MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
We serve Fayetteville, TN, and women and men in Lincoln County by providing no-cost, professional, and confidential services.